Jul 25, 2007

corporeal

I finally broke down and bought the newest Killers CD. I don't really remember hearing anything about it but I loved the first album. Just as catchy with each listen as that curs-ed Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World. The kind of album you're often embarrassed you have but nonetheless sing along to with abandon each and every time. So I bought Sam's Town hopefully but without huge expectations. Even so, I was disappointed. There are huge sections of the album i would delete completely, some songs that I love until they get to the end and I'm like why would they end like this and ruin a perfectly great song?!! I have similar problems with Rilo Kiley's The Execution of All Things, which has been solidly in rotation in my house, car, and while painting the condo for the last month. Two rules of rock-music-making that Amanda believes imperative to success: 1) Do not ever replicate carnival/circus music in a song and expect success. You are no kind of Clown Posse: you are indie rock. 2) Along those veins, thou shalt not speak to the innocent hearing bystander. No talking, please, and no addressing the audience.

Rilo Kiley has I believe three songs on the album that have the buuuh^bah^bah carnival sound to them. I would like them to release this album with those sections taken out. Else I will be forced to play with the .wav files and correct it myself. That said, the rest of the album is phenomenal, really really fantastic.

Now to shift subjects: while listening to Sam's Town, I heard a song called Bones, which I really do like, a couple of the lyrics in particular. And it sparked an idea for photographs... but here's the thing: it would require people being naked. Nothing would be visible but I would have to find a couple willing to be nude in front of me. Last summer my nude photography cherry was popped in a most unceremonious way involving a somewhat intoxicated gentleman at a motel. It sounds perhaps more scandalous than it was and I photographed two people nude the day after that but it was a bit traumatic. This project would be much more positive as I would not be trying to photograph a guy acting like a john, but the problem lies mainly within the finding of participants who are not only willing but that I also want to photograph. Finding a guy who looks like a cliche john in a bar is not difficult. Finding two interesting and in-love people comfortable enough in their skin that they don't mind being photographed nude complicates the process.

Hmm, it just occurred to me that this is Austin. And that's probably not that difficult.

DAMMIT. I just remembered the other project I wanted to do and haven't. Sigh.

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM , Blogger CL said...

Bleed American is one of my (secret) favorite albums of all time!

 
At 12:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger amanda said...

thanks, anonymous! you can see my more recent stuff now at: http://searchfortheultimateeverything.blogspot.com.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home