Nov 11, 2007

Been and Gone


My mom called me this morning and from the first "hey, babe..." I knew something was wrong. "I'm afraid I've got some bad news." I braced myself, my body went cold. My grandmother is dead, I thought. She fell, or maybe the cancer came back.

But what she said was Shanna was in an accident last night. She was on a motorcycle, it was a hit and run, she was riding on the back with some guy, don't know if she was wearing a helmet or not. They were forced off the road. She must have died instantly.

Shanna is my cousin. The one whose hand-me-down clothes I got when she outgrew them. The one who had a beautiful singing voice and who inspired me to join choir. To join Spirit Wind. I also joined the swim team like she did. She was the older sister I never had. When my grandfather died in '96, we sang "Many Gifts, One Spirit" at his funeral together.

We had the same smile, and the same laugh. I remember being really proud of that. Because she was such a fun, vital person. Now I'm the only one with this smile. And nothing right now could make me sadder.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss!!! What a beautiful written tribute to your cousin/pseudo older sis... wishing you peace through this most difficult time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home