Aug 12, 2004

mona lisa

yesterday, on my way home from work, i saw a squirrel cross 6 lanes of traffic on congress during rush hour. i still haven't decided if i think he is really brave or really stupid but he made it and i salute him.

in other news, i've been pondering a few things lately. several months ago, when nicknames were being determined for me and my co-workers, someone hit on the idea of "demanda." from this sprang "master and commanda," "reprimanda" and "pituitary glanda." somehow, i am the only person whose nickname stuck. i am fine with this and i am fine with my nicknames. the only thing is that a whole myth now surrounds me as to how i "demanda" that everything go my way and i "commanda" all activities. the truth is that i am a very indecisive person and am not generally one to command anyone. in fact, many an acquaintance and friend has commented on how i convey most of my feelings not by what i say but by how i look. i've been told by one person that they needed an alphabet for my eyes and by another that i was a human recorder. the problem with this is that my new nickname has changed the light in which people see me so that now my facial expressions which i thought were only bemused and observant are now considered judgmental and aloof. so i would like to ask you, my friends, if you think i project that. also, is my smile devilish or unnerving? if so, does it make me an inherently unapproachable person? i really do want to know what you think...


1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM , Blogger particleman said...

i wish i could say something witty and deep here, but honestly, i've known you too long to know the difference anymore. the smiles are just you. the expressions are just you. they're what make Amanda Amanda.

one odd thing to ponder: i was pretty quiet and reserved when i first started my old job, especially when in the company of people older and wiser than I. Turns out my quietness led some to believe i was just arrogant, aloof, and even condescending, not at all what i intended. and when i did speak, it was with that signature slicing sense of humor that more or less shut the room up and made everyone look at me like i was way too cynical for a college kid.

so, yeah, i've been there before. that's about it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home