Jun 8, 2004

playing house

so my mother in all her infinite wisdom gave me this response when i told her my plans of journeying elsewhere (while i defended myself with the fact that she had suggested as much only a year ago):

"we're still paying for your gas, your car insurance, and your phone bill. don't you think you should get all that under control before you spend the money to move and start over somewhere new?"

sigh.

yesterday, i had my first voice lesson with james mays, an awesome guy, very austin, who's sung opera in italy and also been in a rock band. i've decided that all my classical training isn't going to do me any good since i have no grandiose dreams of performing on broadway, so i'm gonna learn to sing the music i like. james accompanies with guitar not piano (cool) and we listened to some minus the bear and neutral milk hotel to try to decide what song i should learn first. the catch of course is that i had to commit to taking lessons for 3 months, which means that if i were to find another job, i'd pay a price. so maybe i will stay in austin. and i already have a ticket to ACL... besides if i want to be in a band, isn't this the place to do it?

on a different note, it looks like i will be journeying to Lake Charles in mid-July. Why you ask? Because my grandmother wants to spend her 80th birthday gambling. that's right, grandma gambles. she also cusses and plays a mean game of scrabble. she's the coolest grandma ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home